IN A NUTSHELL
- I dream of bringing my classroom into the homes of students who otherwise would not seek post-secondary education through quality e-instruction and virtual learning environments.
- An enthusiastic, creative, and passionate educator, mentor and advisor who believes that learning occurs through innovation outside the limitations of a classroom.
- Specializations: Online learning engagement and innovation. Advanced academic computer science teacher with 150 hours of College Board training in computer science, with expertise teaching Java programming curriculum.
- Instructional Leadership: Advancement Via Individual Determination, AVID is an in-school academic support program for grades 5-12 targeting minority, rural, low-income, and other students who have a chance to be the first in their family to attend college. I am an AVID site team member with advanced training and I promote the program methodologies through training and dissemination to teaching staff. Proficient in application and training in the AVID Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Reading (W.I.C.R.) strategies.
- Campus technology liaison, supporting and training teachers to use technology as a teaching and communication tool for students and parents.
Specialized Programming Areas: Java
Areas of interest:
Instructional Technologies, E-Learning, VLE (Virtual Learning Environment), AVID Methodologies, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence, Website Design, Technology Trainer, Human Computer Interaction, Technology Facilitator
Applications: Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe CS6, Microsoft VISIO, Microsoft IIS, SmartBoard Technologies, LiveBinders, Blackboard, Joomla Content Manager System
Designed and implemented the Computer Lab Training System at the University of Texas of the Permian Basin from user-centered concept model to live site. Wrote the content of the Lab Assistant Module focusing on teaching lab assistants through a series of automated tutorials. Designed the web based system using CSS, Html, xml, ASP, IIS, MS Visio, MS Access, Adobe DreamWeaver, and HyperCam. The published paper includes concept model, use cases, and site map.
M.S., Computer Science, University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Odessa, TX, 2009. 21 additional Education Master’s credit hours
B.S., Computer Science, University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Odessa, TX, 2002.
Texas Certified Teacher, Computer Information Systems and Mathematics, Grades 8-12
2012 – Present, Leander Independent School District, Cedar Park High School, Cedar Park, Texas
Computer Science Teacher
- Instruct courses in Java Programming, Web Design, Video Game Design and Robotics
- Sample of student games available at: www.coffeeandcomputing.com
- Sample of student game development life cycle on student blog: whalenvideogamedesign.edublogs.org
- Coached the UIL District 25-4A Computer Science team to District Championship and State Qualifying Individual.
Coached State Qualifying TCEA Robotics teams
- Increased enrollment in computer science courses by over 30% in first year, including increased female enrollment.
- Top Advanced Placement Computer Science Student Scores for May, 2013 in Leander Independent School District.
- 93% passing rate with a score of 4 or 5.
2009 – Present, Odessa College, Odessa, Texas.
Adjunct College Lecturer/Instructor
- Intro to Technology Instructor, taught Microsoft Office Applications and Introduction to Computer Science
- Course written and delivered via BlackBoard Enterprise and Cengage, SAMS.
- Conducted courses via VLE (Virtual Learning Environment), e-Learning.
- Designed online courses in Business Computer Information Systems to introduce students to real time online learning communities and applications, including LiveBinder, as a course management tool and EduBlog as an interactive portal for access to classmates. 92% of student surveys rated the courses A-A+ for instructor, text, and online learning and resources.
2005 – 2012, Odessa High School, Odessa, Texas.
Computer Science Teacher
- Promoted student awareness of careers and advanced education in the field of engineering and computer science by leading teams to compete successfully in local and international contests, including: Java and C++ Programming (Reno, Nevada, 2008, Anaheim, California, 2010), Computer Network Security, Website Design, Network Design, Software Engineering, Trinity College Robot Fire Fighting Contest (Hartford, Connecticut, 2008, 2010, 2011,2012), Permian Basin Regional Science Fair, Intel International Science and Engineering Fair (San Jose, California, 2010, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, 2012), in the field of computer science and robotics and UIL Computer Science.
- Independent study facilitator in the field of robotics and artificial intelligence programming using RobotC, NXTG, LeJos, Java and LabView languages and applications.
- Developed the use of technology to enhance instruction, infusing the use the latest technology, including: the Internet, listServ, RSS feeds, department and personal websites, SharePoint, SMARTBoards, blogs and forums.
- Department Chair Pre-Advanced Placement and Advanced Placement, College Board AP® Designated Computer Science Program and International Baccalaureate Computer Science SL.
- Founded the robotics program through grant funding from the Ector County ISD Education Foundation.
- Author and recipient of three grants from the ECISD Education Foundation for funding of innovative teaching programs in the area of computer science and robotics in excess of $20,000.
- Provided instructional leadership in advancement of School Wires an online technology tool for teachers. Odessa High School Technology Liaison for staff technology support, trained staff in Eduphoria (a teaching tool application).
- Secured Title II funding to attend the Carnegie Mellon Robotic Teaching Academy, August, 2010.
2009 – 2011 University of Texas of the Permian Basin, Odessa, Texas.
Adjunct College Lecturer/Instructor
- Computer Science Instructor of programming courses in JAVA programming language, and upper level Data Structures in the JAVA Framework
2004 – 2005 Ector County Independent School District Career Center, Odessa, Texas.
Mathematics and TAKS Recovery Instructor
- Instructed four levels of high school mathematics: Algebra I & II, Geometry, TAKS Specific Courses for grades 9, 10, Exit, and Recovery
- Provided instructional and administration leadership for the after and before school mentoring and tutoring program, during the year the TAKS recovery student group, reached 100% pass rate of their Exit TAKS test.
2003 – 2004 RY Team-N-Texas, Odessa, Texas.
Facilitator – Grant Funded Recovery Program for at-risk students
- Reconnecting Youth facilitator teaching at-risk students. The students were involved in learning skills in building self-esteem, personal control, interpersonal communication and decision making. The program goals include helping each student set goals in increasing mood management, decreasing drug use, and increasing academic achievement.
1989 – 2003
- Self-Employed – Law Office of Denn Whalen
- Ran successful political campaign for State District Judge
1982 – 1989 Parker & Parsley Petroleum Company, Adobe Resources Corporation, Lawson Engineering
Senior Reservoir Engineering Technician Oil and Gas Production
- Responsible for evaluating prospects and bid packages including production retrieval, forecasting, plotting, and generating economic profiles.
- Conducted area studies involving comparisons of producing formations and well completions, log analysis and correlation of formation tops, forecasting ultimate reserves from existing wells.
- Assisted in special projects including field simulation and economic evaluations for field infill drilling or flooding.
- Prepared present worth analysis including pre-production capital outlay, drilling models including payout and production retrieval.
- Experienced in reserve forecasting, field studies, recovery enhancement, log analysis and field mapping
Outstanding Computer Science Student as Undergraduate UTPB 2002, Summa Cum Laude
Outstanding Computer Science Graduate Student UTPB 2009
Cheri Whalen, Ilhyun Lee, and Haesun Lee “Design of Lab Assistant Module for UTPB-CLTS”, Proceedings of the 24th ISCA International Conference on Computers and Their Applications (CATA ’09), pp 174 – 178, April 8 – 10, 2009, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates), Board of Directors April 2010 – May 2012
Business Professionals of America Sponsor, Odessa High School Aug 2005 – May 2012
University Interscholastic League Computer Science Coach Aug 2005 – present
AVID Program Site Team Member – Odessa High School Aug 2008 – May 2012
AVID Program Site Team Member – Cedar Park High School Aug 2012 – present
OHS Computer Science Club Sponsor/Founder-Odessa High School Sept 2007 – May 2012
Computer Science Club Sponsor/Cedar Park High School Aug 2012 – present
Robotics Competition Team Sponsor TCEA Aug 2012 — present